Monday, September 12, 2011

Italy - Venice

Matt and I had both been to Venice before, but there is something very appealing about Venice and we both wanted to visit it again.  We booked 3 nights (August 22, 23 & 24) at a campground located in the suburbs of Venice for just €9 a night!  I'm not much of a "camper".  I love the camping part - I just don't like the set-up and take down of all the camping equipment...and the packing involved in getting ready for camping and all the clean up of washing sleeping bags etc., once the fun camping experience is over.  It's too much work for a relaxing weekend.

I definitely prefer the luxury of hotels, but this campground was luxurious camping and totally satisfied all of my needs/wants!  Our tent was a permanent fixture complete with beds, electricity and hard floors.  There was a beautiful swimming pool which we used daily, the grounds were nicely maintained and there were plenty of clean toilets and showers.  It was awesome.

 The tents!

  Our swimming pool.

I love wandering around aimlessly in Venice and getting lost in the maze of streets. I love finding new bridges, crossing them and browsing through the various shops.  I love taking the water taxis to different islands and discovering something new.  I love people watching in St. Mark's Square.  It basically comes down to that I love Venice and hopefully I'll be back again.

 Ponte di Rialto

 Gondolas
 
 Tourists flirting with pigeons - how romantic.

 A shop owner's sign on Murano Island.

 Gondolas being navigated through the narrow alleys

 Admiring the view. I'd post a picture of Matt as well but we didn't have a chance to back up his Venice photos onto my laptop before parting ways.

Venetian masks - wouldn't it be cool to be in Venice during Carnival?

I had a great time in Venice.  It was scorching hot - so hot that my face broke out into little pimples which never happens. According to wikipedia, it was because I have under developed sweat glands on my face - well of course, in Canada my face rarely sweats except for my forehead.  I met some Canadian and Australian girls in Florence who had the same problem and we all felt much better knowing that we were all suffering with terrible skin due to extreme heat. Minor skin issues - c'est la vie!  There are way worse things that could happen.

As I mentioned in a previous blog, Matt and I parted ways after Venice as we had different itineraries and timeframes in which to accomplish our travelling goals.  We marked our final night with dinner and hours of reminising over the past 3.5 months together.  

Here we were on May 3, 2011 - the start of the trip of a lifetime!!  It was also when Matt was sporting his Vancouver Canucks Playoff beard.  Not sure if you noticed, but that beard came off as soon as the weather became warmer and not when the Canucks lost.  If he waited that long into the Playoff series, there would have been some serious tan line issues!
It's been a blast Matt! "On the road again.....on the road again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment