Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Italy - Florence, Pisa & Siena

Florence
I spent 4 relaxing nights in Florence (August 25-28). It was great to be back in Florence as I did an student exchange for a few weeks way back in Grade 11.  When I went to Florence as a 16 year old, the city seemed so much bigger. This time, everything seemed so close together.  When I was here previously, I visited the Accademia and Uffizi galleries and conquered the Duomo, so this time I was looking just to relax and enjoy the beauty of the city. I also managed to squeeze in a day trip to Pisa and Siena - it was great to be back to both these places 11 years later.

Here are some pictures from Florence:

 Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral

 Ponte Vecchio (which means "Old Bridge"). Ponte Vecchio crosses the Arno River and is the oldest bridge in Florence. The bridge is packed with shops selling all kinds of antique and contemporary jewelry. It's present structure dates back to 1565.

 Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral with the Duomo showing

 Shopping!!!  I also did a little shopping and bought a leather purse from the market. I really miss carrying around a purse and I will have to wait a little longer as my purse is being shipped home.

The fake "David's" at Piazzale Michaelangelo (made of Bronze)

 View from Piazzale Michaelangelo. The Arno River and Ponte Vecchio bridge is in view.

  View from Piazzale Michaelangelo

Pisa
While staying in Florence, I took a day trip to Pisa and Florence with a girl I met at the hostel from Brazil.  There really isn't much in Pisa except for the Leaning Tower and the adjacent Cathedral and Baptistry. Here are a couple pics:

The Leaning Tower of Pisa. Dani and I tried very hard to get a good shot of us holding up the tower, but we failed.  It's pretty hard getting the hand positioning to look just right.

 The adjacent Cathedral & Baptistry

The only other picture worth posting is the view as you cross the bridge to get to the Leaning Tower.  Like I said - not much in Pisa.

Siena
After our brief stint in Pisa, we took the train to Siena (a city in Tuscany).  We spent the afternoon roaming around the historic city centre.  Here are some photos:

 Just a view.

 View of the housing

The Cathedral of Siena


No comments:

Post a Comment