Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Italy - Naples

As synonomous as Naples, Italy is for being the birth place of pizza, it is also synonymous for being a relatively dodgy/gritty city with crazy Italian drivers, graffiti laden buildings, crime (especially at night), and has a real Mafia presence.

The day I arrived in Naples, there was a Italian wide general strike from 9am to 5pm, which meant that I had to walk to my hostel from the main train station, at least 5km in 30+C heat.  I've had this happen before - no biggie.  I just went to the tourist office, picked up a map and was on my way.  This nice long walk gave me my first glimpse into Naples and I was thankful that I was doing this walk at 11am during the day and not at night.  When I checked into my hostel, the owner, Giovanni, gave me a thorough introduction to the city and strongly advised me to not carry any valuables, including a purse or backpack.  He suggested using a small shopping bag to place a small amount of money and that's it. Giovanni provided me with a map and marked off the Mafia areas and areas which were relatively safe during the day. He also recommended that none of us in the hostel stay out past dark.  Great....welcome to Naples!  Better safe than sorry though.

I had booked 6 nights in Naples which gave me plenty of time to explore Naples, visit the island of Capri, see Mount Vesuvius, Pompeii & Herculanem and tour the Amalfi Coast.

On my first full day, I decided to walk along the harbour.  I had accidently taken a wrong turn and ended up in one very shady area. I kept walking forward, hoping that I might find a street that I needed but after about 30 minutes, I made the call to turn around - good idea I think.  Eventually I found the right street and spent several hours walking along the coast.  Here are some pics:





For the rest of the day, I walked through the safer streets of Naples. Here are some pics:

  Why is this man in pointing his gun towards the street?? I just kept walking past....awkward.

Piazza Plebiscito

 Galleria Vittorio Emanuele - There is a very similar type of building in Milan!

LOL! I had to do a triple take. Man with 2 dogs on a leash and a...duck? Awesome!

I had a great time at the hostel I stayed at in Naples. The owner, Giovanni, went out of his way to make everyone happy. He cooked us pasta on multiple occassions and it was excellent. He even took me for a ride on his BMW Motorcycle to the main post office as the other Italian Post Offices wouldn't accept my package without a tax code, despite me claiming that I didn't need one. My shipment contained items of a personal nature and not commercial goods.  The main post office was much better and I was right - I didn't need a tax code.  It's just a way for them to make me pay 2x the amount in shipping costs - argh, Italy!  Anyway, box is being shipped home and I had my first motorcycle ride on the streets of Naples - it was definitely an adventure. The people in Naples drive like madmen and I am glad I survived the bike trip without any bumps & bruises.  Great experience!

Here's Giovanni and his bike after he dropped me off at the train station.  Loved the motorcycle ride!

Lastly, Naples is the home of pizza and while in Naples, I tried pizza from two different establishments - Gino Sorbillo's (this place is always making the top 10 list of best pizza in Naples) and La Locanda del Grifo.  Both pizzas were phenomenal - why can't we get pizza like this at home?  My favourite place was La Locanda del Grifo and their La Pesto pizza (ingrediants: pesto alla genovese, smoked mozzarella & san marzano tomatoes).  It was the best pizza I have ever had - ever!  And I ordered it as take-out after a heavy day of sight seeing. Mmm mmm good!


And here is a picture of me at Gino Sorbillo's with their 4 Staggioni pizza (tomato, mozzarella, ham, salami & mushrooms).


Naples is a really interesting city. It's got character, that's for sure. Plus, it is the home of pizza and their pizza is phenomenal.  I would definitely visit Naples again - if not just for the cheap & delicious pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment