Saturday, September 24, 2011

Italy - Capri & Amalfi Coast

Capri
On September 9th, I took a day trip to Capri.  Capri is one of Italy’s most famous islands and many celebrities holiday and honeymoon here.  I eagerly anticipated to see what all the hype was about.

As soon as I got off the ferry at Capri, I was bombarded with tourism.  I knew the island would be busy with tourists, but I didn’t expect such a hot spot (especially with celebrities) to be overly filled with restaurants, designer shops, boutiques and tourist traps. I was expecting more of a relaxed and secluded vibe.

Everywhere I turned on the island, there were throngs of people.  I quickly got my hands on a map of the island and decided to do some of the hikes around Capri and Anacapri to escape the crowds and to obtain the best views that the island had to offer.  This was definitely a good idea because as soon as I ventured away from the main shopping areas, there was hardly a person in sight.  I also took a chairlift ride up to the summit of Mount Solarno for some great views.

Here are some photos from Capri:






Amalfi Coast
On September 11th, I toured the Amalfi Coast via bus and train. I left Naples in the morning and headed straight to Sorrento.  I walked around for an hour or so and then hopped back on a bus to continue my journey along the Amalfi Coast.  The roads were incredibly windy and narrow.  Often times, our bus or other cars would have to reverse to allow the bus/car to pass.  

The only others stops I made were in the towns of Amalfi and Positano.  Both offered great views of the Amalfi Coast.  While the coast is definitely beautiful, I would rate the coastal drives I've done in Australia (ie. Great Ocean Road) to be better.  I even preferred the Cinque Terre over the Amalfi Coast. 

Here are some photos from Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano and views from the bus:








No comments:

Post a Comment