Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Croatia - Sailing the Dalmation Coast

Wow, for the first time since leaving for my trip, my blog will be up to date!  Unfortunately, that is going to change shortly as in a week I will be on my African Safari and I imagine internet access will be very limited. 

I arrived in Dubrovnik, Croatia on September 15th after a 9 hour ferry ride from Bari, Italy. Dubrovnik is a beautiful city on the coast of the Adriatic Sea. I spent my first day in Dubrovnik walking along the boardwalk that lines the sea and the second day in the Old historic centre.

Here are my photos from Dubrovnik:









From September 17th to 24th, I went on a sailing trip up the Dalmation Coast. We departed Dubrovnik on the 17th and visited Mljet, Korcula, Hvar, Brac, Makarsa and ended in Split.  Due to rough seas, we missed our stop over in Vis which I was really looking forward to due to the blue caves :(

The scenery on the trip was breath taking.  The water was crystal clear and the swimming was phenomenal. I loved lounging on the top deck and soaking in the sun.  Everyone onboard the boat was awesome and fun to be with.  Here are some pics from my week sailing:


 Swimming at sunset.






While in Croatia, I have eaten some of the best seafood of my life.  From the above photo of mussles in this divine red tomato sauce to grilled squid to a seafood spaghetti to sampling food off the dinner plates of friends (seafood risotto, fish, mussles in a garlic & white wine sauce), my palate has been overwhelmingly happy.  The seafood has been absolutely phenomenal! 


Nom nom nom! Enjoying another course of seafood while in Split, Croatia.

The final stop for the sailing trip was Split, Croatia where I spent some time wandering around the city.  Here are a couple photos:




 I love markets!


Crystal clear water!

There is so much more of Croatia that I want to explore. I will definitely be back!



1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are so beautiful. I am dying to go to Croatia. My friends went Croatia sailing and they said it was the best time they ever had. I cant wait to see for myself!

    ReplyDelete