Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Scotland - Glasgow and the Western Highlands

Glasgow
On May 25th, we arrived in Glasgow.  Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland and the people who live in Glasgow or are from Glasgow are referred to as Glaswegians. 

Glasgow is a working city filled with many young people who like to work during the day and socialize (ie. drink heavily) at night. As with other working cities we've been to, such as Manchester, there are plenty of shopping opportunities.  We walked through the city and made a few pit stops including a gothic cathedral (it was scary looking - I would not attend a Sunday service EVER at this church).

Side view of cathedral - looks ok.


As you walk around the grounds of the cathedral, there are weird tombs that make me nervous. Maybe it's the way they've aged and how creepy they look and the fact that it was becoming dark when we were there?

Some monument...I forget now :(

Glasgow at night!

Western Highlands
We took a tour up through the Western Highlands which we heard were much more impressive than the Eastern Highlands.  Our Western Highlands tour also included a stop at Oban, a port side city which is also the seafood capital of Scotland. Our tour guide, Michael, was so knowledgeable about Scottish history.  If you ever go to Scotland and take a tour, see if you can book a tour with Michael though Rabbie's Tours.  He is the best guide I have ever had. I learned so much about Rob Roy, Robert the Bruce, William Wallace and inaccuracies in the movie Braveheart. Plus he had so much other random knowledge that made you go, "really?" That reminds me, I really should e-mail the tour company and let them know how great Michael was! 
 
The weather for most of the day was overcast - which is what I expect for Scotland (or the UK in general).  It was much better than the chaotic weather we experienced for our Eastern Highlands tour.  We stopped at Invereray Castle, home to the Duke of Argyll.

Invereray Castle


Boats at Invereray

The little town of Invereray! Only 2 main streets.
In the small town of Invereray is where I met my first true Scotsman. How do I know that he was a true Scotman? Well, he was dressed in a kilt and was playing the bagpipes!!! The true mark of a Scotsman.  My friend Eve made one request of me and that was to find a Scottish man in a kilt playing the bagpipes...I'm pleased to say that I accomplished the mission! 

This is just for you Eve!

We also stopped at Kilchurn Castle.  Here are some pics of the view as we walked to the Castle and the Castle.





The drive through the Western Highlands was more scenic & beautiful that the Eastern Highlands. We even saw hairy coo's (more than just the one we saw doing the Eastern tour - Hamish).


Oban
Oban is a pretty portside city.  Matt's mom has traced some of their ancestry back to Oban, so it was particularly meaningful for Matt to be there. He could see why some of his family moved from Oban to the east coast of Canada, as it looks very similar!






And finally, here are some other pics from the Western Highlands!





I loved the Western Highlands and  I hope that if you ever go to Scotland, you will travel though the Western Highlands as well :)

2 comments:

  1. First things first the name of the "monument" in glasgow was taken at st george's square. The funny thing is even though the name of the square is St Georges square St George was not the guy on top of the monument! Go figure! I cant remember who is or who St George was but i can google it later if i really feel the need to know! Haha!

    The western highland tour is highly recommended! Micheal was indeed very knowledgable! Braveheart is a great film end of story! As for scottish figures i fould the story of robert the bruce most interesting! I am going to read more of these 3 men and their stories later! The story of the "braveheart" is actually of robert the bruce! Just a side note though the movie rob roy is actually very true!
    For those that want a cant read! You know who you are! Just think of ya!

    As for oban as jane said my mom has tracked down so history there my great grand father. He actually moved around on the west coast of scotland from oban to glasgow before moving to canada! Last name was Lindsay for you clan followers! Its like i told Jane that if someone knocked me out and i woke up in oban and someone asked me where i was i would have said a small town in Nova Scotia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to do these posts on a computer like Jane! Sorry for the type-os I am posting them from an ipod touch and its really hard to read and type on it. I will try my best :-)

    ReplyDelete