Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ireland - Killarney, Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula

On June 3rd, we arrived in Killarney.  We had a great time at our hostel and met more great people!  One of the greatest perks of travelling is meeting new acquantainces and making friends along the way.  While in Killarney, a group of us new friends went to a pub called The Grand to listen to some traditional Irish music. The pub was full to its capacity, but the atmosphere was fun and light-hearted. I loved watching people dance to the music and I loved listening to the music.  I also loved how people knew many of the songs and sang along with the musicians. What a fun night!

These two gentleman played at the beginning of the night.

At 11pm, the band took over!

#
The two Irish men playing at the beginning of the night

 The band playing at the end of the night

Killarney is the best hub if you plan on doing day trips to the Ring of Kerry and/or the Dingle Peninsula.  After visiting these two spots, I would have loved to spend more time at each.  Well there you have it - a reason for me to go back to Ireland!

Ring of Kerry
The Ring of Kerry is a 179km circuit around Iveragh Peninsula.  It was a beautiful drive and one of the most popular areas to visit in Ireland.  Many people complete the whole circuit via hiking and camp along the way as there are many trails.  I'd love to come back here and hike along some of the trails - except stay in hostels or hotels and not camp!


Gorgeous beaches!


"I love Ireland - it's so beautiful!!!!!!!"



Dingle Peninsula
The Dingle Peninsula is just as beautiful a drive (if not more) than the Ring of Kerry. Its beautiful rugged Atlantic coast is scattered with forts and prehistoric huts, tiny islands and beautiful white sandy beaches. I had a great day on the Dingle Peninsula tour.  I even met a group of German tourists when we were at Slea Head (the most westerly point in Europe).  I started talking with a few of the Germans and let them know that I was half German.  We had a great conversation with their limited English and my non-existant German.  They even shared their German food with me including a special sausage made only in this one small town.  Apparently the meat is used within 30 minutes of killing the animal and then once the sausage is prepared, it is hung for 6 months. It tasted quite good! I also tried a pate that tasted good.  I've never really been a fan of German food in the past because my dad has zero cooking capabilities and the thought of eating steak tar-tar that he prepared turned my stomach (and still does).  Plus, I think I banned sauerkraut from my house when I was in middle school because the smell made me want to vomit.  Hopefully when I get to Germany at the end of June, my apprecation for German food will change as I will be exposed to a greater variety. 

Anyway, here are some pics from the Dingle Peninsula:

Long white sandy beach along the coast

Isn't the water gorgeous?

Breathtaking scenery!

Turquoise water, rugged cliffs...love it!

Prehistoric fort

I'd love to park my butt at that deserted white sandy beach

The town of Dingle

Matt wishing he could go for a swim!

I know I keep saying this, but isn't Ireland beautiful? I've been so blessed to have this opportunity to travel the world and I am loving and savouring every moment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment