Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Manchester and Liverpool

Note: This post was updated on June 11, 2011 to include photos!

Manchester
On May 13th, we took the train into Manchester. We didn't really have anything planned for Manchester as when we did research about the city, very little gained our attention. The plan was just to aimlessly wander around the city and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Manchester is full of shopping opportunities...Like really good stores that I easily could have spent the day shopping at. But since I have no room, shopping was off the list again :( I did go to the Apple store though to have my iPod battery assessed, as it seems to deplete too quickly. Not much could be done as I was not willing to part with my current iPod in exchange for a new one, as all my information is backed up on my laptop which is at home.

Other than the Apple store, we went to Piccadilly Gardens, Deansgate locks and Manchester Cathedral to name a few.

If you are thinking of visiting Manchester...it's not worth it unless your goal us to shop, because the stores were amazing!!

Here are just a couple pics (because I didn't take many):

In front of the fountains...Matt's play-off beard still growing!


Inside of the church

Outside of the church

Deansgate Locks

Liverpool
There was a lot more to see in Liverpool than Manchester. Aside from better weather (it poured rain in Manchester), we were only faced with very windy conditions. We started off at the World Museum where we looked at Ancient Egypt and Greece displays and then headed out to Queens Square...more shopping!!! I kept my horse blinders on as we walked through and bee lined it for Albert Docks where we went to the Merseyside Maritime Museum. What a great museum to learn more about the Titanic and its sister ships. We also went to the International Slavery Museum which had a special exhibit on apartheid. I really enjoyed the history, artifacts and photos on display.

We also went to the Cavern Club where the Beatles 1st performed (yawn), but what caught my attention was that Adele had a free show there this past January!

That was basically it for those 2 cities.

Here are some pics from Liverpool:


Mummy!

Beatles stuff everywhere!





Club where the Beatles 1st played...more importantly, Adele played a free show here in January!


We've now left Nantwich and are in our 2nd day in York. That post will follow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment