Saturday, August 13, 2011

Spain - Seville

Portugal was an amazing destination and now we were returning back to the south coast of Spain.  On July 26th, we left Lagos at 6:15am via bus towards Seville, Spain. 

There is a running theme to all my blog posts - I keep writing that what I am seeing and experiencing is beautiful, but it's true.  Seville is no exception to the "Europe is beautiful" theme I have going on. 

Seville is a beautiful city, both during the day and at night.  My favourite spot in Seville was the Plaza de Espana - a regionalist style square (50,000 square meters) surrounded by a canal and 4 bridges.  I also enjoyed walking through the narrow maze of streets in the Santa Cruz Quarter and visiting the Cathedral & Giralda.  While in Seville, I also did a bit of shopping, saw my very first Flamenco show and attended a festival.  I loved the festival - there was flamenco dancing, tapas, carnival rides and more.

Here are some pics and explanations below:

At the festival. All these green tents served tapas & drinks. It was a very hot evening (35C at 10:30pm) so many sangrias and cervesas were enjoyed by the festival attendees. I drank good ol' H2O.

Flamenco dancing by the next generation. They were awesome! Full of passion & enthusiasm.

Cathedral during the day

 View of the Cathedral at night

Walking through the narrow streets in the Santa Cruz Quarter

The canal at Plaza de Espana.  This plaza was gorgeous! There was a giant fountain in the centre of the plaza and the canal that surrounded the building. 

 Even the surrounding perimeter was beautiful! Gorgeous detail.

The centre of the Plaza de Espana

The flamenco show I went to was called "Casa de la Memoria" and was at the Cultural Centre in Seville. The show was very intimate - a small stage with one flamenco dancer, one singer and one guitar player.  The room comfortably fit about 50 people.  The show was spectacular! We were not permitted to take photos during the performance until the last 5 minutes, hence lack of photos of the show.

Here is a photo taken of the passionate flamenco dancer during her last 5 minutes of performance. She was amazing! What a talent!

Here is a photo of all 3 performers.  The guitar player was extremly impressive & beyond talented.  If in Seville, please see a flamenco show.  You will not be disappointed.  But in the interim, there are apparently excellent flamenco shows in Vancouver as well and I look forward to seeing one when I return home.

Picture of the streets of Seville at night.

Matt and I had a wonderful time in Seville. While he didn't join me for the Flamenco show (I bet you are regretting it now, yes?), it was a beautiful city to explore by foot. Everything was close by, lots of stuff to do during the day and a great night life atmosphere.


1 comment:

  1. My favorite place in Seville was also Plaza de Espana and the parks surrounding it! No Jane I am not regreting the flamanco show but I do enjoy guitar solos and apparently it was good so I guess that would have been good to see but not regreting it haha.

    Before going to Seville I didnt really think anything of it just another city until I went on the walking tour. I learned 2 things about it the people are what make the city so friendly and outgoing! The other thing is that Mr. Christopher Columbus! Yes the man that sailed the ocean blue has a tumb in the Cathedral here! They found through dna test that the 10% of remains they have are his and because no one else has more remains of him in the world. They have claimed his remains as their own! Love surprises like that!

    Good city all in all when you are expecting nothing but another city!

    ReplyDelete