Thursday, April 28, 2011

Let the Packing Begin...

Packing....otherwise known as Organized Chaos
This morning I finally started to lay out all the items that I plan on packing into my back pack. I used an Apple app called uPackingList to help me out.  Here's a pic of how things look now:


I'm still missing some items but from the looks of it, I have way too much as it is.  Notice though that on the t-shirt pile, my Canucks shirt is on top! Go Canucks Go!!  Matt said to me today that if the Canucks make it into the finals, he might just have to fly home for a week.  Of course I said yes...but I did stipulate a condition.  As Matt and I purchased the 1st Class Saver Pass, it means that both of us have to travel on the Eurail system at the same time, therefore I would be unable to use the pass while he's gone.  So, I need to be left behind in a beautiful sunny spot where I can hang out at the beach or in a place full of history and culture that would take days to explore.

Security
One of our biggest concerns for the trip is security.  We will be carrying minimal amounts of cash, no jewelry, and only a few debit/credit cards.  Matt's dad had a great idea for when we are travelling and have to place our luggage out of our sight (ie. on a train, ferry or bus).  Matt has a coil lock which we are going to use to lock our back packs together.  It's easy to steal one back pack, but try stealing two that are locked together - good luck criminals!

I am not bringing any paper documentation with me except for my passport and Eurail pass.  I've taken photos of my passport and all my credit/debit cards and sent them to my e-mail and saved it on my ipod. I have the travel insurance documents, Australian Working Visa, maps and other documents all saved onto my ipod and backed up onto a USB and sent to my e-mail.  The less I have to carry, the less I have to be concerned about theft or misplacing a valuable piece of paper.

Thank You's!
I just wanted to take a few moments to give a HUGE thank you to my friends at boot camp who organized a farewell dinner this past Monday night.  Thank you so much for coming out on a Monday night (a school/work night) to wish me all the best on my upcoming trip.  You guys are truly wonderful people and my life is much richer for knowing each of you.  I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to sweat with three times a week.  The fun we have and the support we provide to one another have made boot camp a great experience.  Thank you for the gorgeous bouquet of flowers, travel face cloths and luggage tag.  I am going to miss my Monday/Wednesday/Friday night routine and I can't wait to come back and see how great everyone looks :) 


Also, thank you to my wonderful friends at work who have been treating me out to lunch for the past 2 weeks. While my waist is feeling the effects, I am glad I got to spend that extra bit of time with you before leaving.  This week has a few more dining out experiences before I jet off - lunch with my former work team on Thursday afternoon, dinner and drinks with some great friends from work on Thursday evening; a farewell dinner with my best friends on Saturday night and hopefully my last "mommy made" dinner on Monday evening before I leave.

4 more sleeps!

1 comment:

  1. My "cable lock" is a typical snowboard lock. All locks we are taking are all combination locks as keys are easily misplaced. This is another reason we both have decided not to keep assorted paper documents. When your life is in a bag the little things you dont use daily seem to be the first to be misplaced. Another tip is try and get a seperate debit card from your bank as atm's sometimes like to eat them!

    ReplyDelete