Saturday, October 1, 2011

Greece - Santorini

Getting out of Athens was quite the ordeal.  All forms of public transportation were on strike including taxis. At first I didn't quite know how I was going to make it to the airport as it is an hour drive from the city centre.  I was also concerned as there were planned protests at Syntagma Square.  Thankfully though I met a nice guy from Melbourne, Australia who offered to drive me if I was stuck.  I was also thankful that the protests  were rather peaceful and did not create further disruption or lead to a riot (like earlier this year). The hostel also realized that many people were in quite the pickle with having to either get to the Port or Airport and worked very hard to arrange private drivers (friends/significant others) to transport their guests.  George, who works at the hostel drove myself and 2 other guys to the airport for a total of €60.  Small price to pay to ensure that I got to the airport in time for my flight to Santorini.

While at the airport, I noticed that many flights were delayed.  This was due to air traffic controllers being on a "slow" strike, meaning that they just worked slower.  My flight departing Athens was about an hour behind schedule, but nevertheless, I made it to Santorini :)

Santorini has been beautiful. I have really enjoyed my stay on this small island.  I chose to rent a quad once again as my main method of transportation and boy was it fun to drive!  My quad had way more juice in it than the one I had in Crete. On flat land, I could easily hit 60 km/hr!

Here is a picture of my pretty blue quad (reminds me of my blue car at home).  I did a little off-roading to get to the coast to enjoy my delicious spanakopita lunch.


The quad was awesome in helping me get to all corners of the island. I went to Oia at the north of the island (my favourite town), Fira (the capital), Perissa (home of the long stretch of the black beach), to the Red beach, and basically everywhere else.

Here are some photos from Santorini:
 Oia

 Oia

 Perissa

 Black beach at Perissa

 Mmm, delicious chicken gyro!

 At the Red Beach located near Akrotiri (haha ignore the poser pose)

 Calderra view point

 Oia

 Oia

 Fira

 Fira

Kate, Lynn and myself on our quads.  We met up twice while in Santorini.  I joined them for a delicious dinner in Perissa on Friday night where we ended off dinner with some delicious cheesecake and other desserts from the 24/7 bakery followed by some big laughs at their hotel room.  I had such a fun night hanging out with these girls - Reminds me of how much I miss hanging out with my close friends!

 Enjoying delicious greek food on Friday night!

Kate, Lynn and I also met up on Saturday night for dinner and to watch the sunset at Calderra View Point. The sunset was beautiful, but the best view point is from Oia. Next time I'm back in Santorini, I'll watch the sunset from Oia!

Well, I am about to pack my bags once again as I have a flight tomorrow to Athens and then to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania via Cairo.  I am looking forward to my African Safari which takes me through Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana and finishes off in South Africa with a shark dive!! 

I'll keep you posted as much as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment