Friday, July 22, 2011

Czech Republic - Prague

Before I even visited Prague, I knew I'd be in love with the city.  From pictures I had previously seen on TV, on the Internet and in guidebooks, I was already in love with the city.  When we arrived on the evening of July 4th, my thoughts were confirmed and as we started to discover the city on our own on July 5th, my feelings for Prague intensified. I LOVE this city.  I love its charm, its character, its pastel coloured buildings and red roofs, its cobble stone streets (although my feet didn't appreciate them after 10 hours of walking), the hills (yes, I loved the hills) and the breath taking views as I ascended up a new hill. I LOVE PRAGUE!

Our hostel was located in the perfect area of town called Mala Strana, meaning "Lesser Town". The area was filled with character and was charming! Not to mention, our hostel was beautiful.  If you are going to Prague and need a hostel to stay at, I highly recommend Little Quarter Hostel!

We started off our sightseeing by exploring the sights in our own neighbourhood.  We began by ascending up a gazillion stairs to get to the Castle. In Czech, they refer to the square as "Staromestske Namesti". The Castle was pretty and the views at the top of the stairs were incredible.


Ascending up the stairs to get to the Castle

Each time I see someone taking photos with an iPad, it brings a smile to my face as it looks absolutely ridiculous!

Ahh, beautiful Prague!

Stunning Prague!

The entrance to Prague Castle

St. Vitus Cathedral

St. Vitus Cathedral - One of my favourite gothic cathedrals! The other being the cathedral in Koln, Germany

I love Prague!

Charles Bridge

Our hostel was located on the northside of Charles Bridge and the pictures above are from the sights we saw on the northside.  Once we were done seeing the northside, we crossed the famous Charles Bridge to reach the southside.

Charles Bridge is fascinating. It is a pedestrian only bridge and it was filled with people - tourists, vendors, musicians and artists.  The bridge has 30 finely chiseled sculptures and 2 towers located on either side.  Here is a pic of the bridge as we crossed it:


Here are some photos of the sights we saw on the southside of the bridge in the Old Town:

View from the bridge.

Walking the tourist filled streets

Tyn Church

Astronomical Clock

St. Niklaus Church


There are just a handful of photos that I have from Prague. I look forward to visiting this awesome city again in the future!

1 comment:

  1. I share the same thoughts as Jane! It was a very nice city and cheaper than i thought it was going to be. I would also like to return to Prague one day. I dont think there is one single thing that i liked more than another.

    ReplyDelete